Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

Saturday, May 28, 2005

More Data On Housing Doom From NYT

In another housing bubble article by the NYT, we see comparisons in rental and housing values that make up the "rent ratio". In "Is Your House Overvalued?" we use a formula similar to a price-to-earnings ratio as one measures stock company values. Here you:

Take the price of a typical house in an area, divide it by the amount that house would cost to rent for a year and the result is what might be called a rent ratio, an imperfect but still telling measure of real estate.

Many of the major markets have a 20 to 1 or greater ratio. So while housing values may have increased by 20% per year over the past 5 years, the rentals have only increased moderately.

Yet, the NYT hedges their message of doom by stating:

And simply because home values have risen more than rents does not mean there is a bubble waiting to burst. For many reasons - the long-term decline in interest rates, the fall in mortgage costs as the Internet has increased competition and the extension of credit to low-income families - buying a home is easier for many families than it once was. It makes sense that house prices have risen in recent years, economists say.

The most interesting part of the article is to learn that doomsayer economist Dean Baker, recently mentioned in my earlier post WSJ Schizophrenia: Scaring and Reassuring, has sold his house for $440,000 after buying it for $165,000 8 years ago and is now renting (at an estimated cost of $2500 per month in the DC area). Says Baker:

"I felt stupid not doing it," said Mr. Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, a liberal group. "To me, there's no doubt about the direction. The only question is timing."

Looks like we have a doomsayer (like the famous Paul Ehrlich bet with Julian Simon) putting his mouth where his money is. Many factors will have to be considered in measuring the reults. His rent costs will be $30,000 per year and lost real estate taxes and mortgage interest deductions. There is an immediate real estate gaent commission of say $25,000.

And worst of all, what if his landlord converts his building into condos and baker has to move? There are some psychic and assurance reasons for owning that cannot be quantified. Let's keep an eye on DC housing market for then next 5-10 years. I'll post something then.

24 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're supposed to let guys with this sort of massive head injury tell us how to live?

If he's owned a home for 8 years that he bought for 165K, his current cost of ownership would have to be waaaaaay less than $2,500 a month so whatever profit he made on the house now has to make up that difference.

The man's a moron.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger jon said...

college sell textbook are so expensive. I agree, We have been looking for college sell textbook all night for a new college sell textbook class but havent been able to track down used college sell textbook that I can afford. Anyway, I enjoyed looking at you college sell textbook blog...

jon

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hi, I was just looking around some blogs and checking different templates for ideas. Good blog with a nice template. I can start my own blog on ebooks thanks to your blog. I will visit weekly by the way. Like your ideas.

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like your spanish off plan property blog site , my site www.discount-spanish-property.co.uk has lots of spanish off plan property related resources

 
At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your spanish property portal blog is great spanish property portal

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Orendon said...

WOW! What a great site you have here. I found it from my search for alternative medicine for asthma and it's a cut above the others. Even though my research lead me here and the revelance may not be exact, your content is very beneficial and rewarding. Here's some of me results regarding alternative medicine for asthma

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger aajkal21 said...

Heay There is new site regarding **Term Life Insurance Quote** It will educated you regard insurance please click **Term Life Insurance Quote** Compare term life insurance quote

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

Just visited your blog, It is interesting to read. If you need some free cell phone tips, please click here .

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog enjoyed it :)

Keep up the excellent work! and i bookmarked u!
!

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog. I have found another informative site with information on virginia real estate school at virginia real estate school

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWEsome blog you have here...I appreciate you allowing comments as I do on my blogs. I have some articles and information about life insurance that you could perhaps use at my Term Life Insurance Quote website blog: Term Life Insurance Quote...best regards

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Editor Choice said...

Nice Blog. Will comeback!
Here a site on Car Rental:
Car Rental, Cheap Car Rental, Discount Car Rental, Limousine Rental, Luxury Car Rental. Available for many destinations: Chicago Car rental, New-York Car rental, London Car rental, Paris Car rental, Rome Car rental, Boston Car rental and much more

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

Another death penalty story Resource... LifeLaw.org . A discussion forum for all that deals with such hot-button issues as death penalty story .

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger atoztexan said...

Hey, Great Blog!
Your visitors may also enjoy visiting this site.
working capital need

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger amaretto-mudslide said...

Wondrous blog. Your site was very pleasing and I
will go back again! I like surfing the net for blogs
as good as yours.
Stop by and look at my sc south carolina house cleaning blog site.

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Debt Consolidation Refinance said...

Great Blog! I love to see informative sites and active discussion. I have bookmarked this site so I can check in from time to time. If you have a chance check out this site http:\\www.customortgage.net which has alot of valuable info on California refinance Thanks again for the Blog

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Debt Consolidation Refinance said...

Great Blog! I love to see informative sites and active discussion. I have bookmarked this site so I can check in from time to time. If you have a chance check out this site http:\\thehomemortgageguide.com which has alot of valuable info on Best refinance mortgage rates Thanks again for the Blog

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Debt Consolidation Refinance said...

Impressive blog. So many people have stuff to contribute. For all the California homeowners who are looking to refinance and get a debt consolidation loan, http:\\www.customortgage.net can help you improve your credit to get the most equity out of your home to help you take care of your credit card and bill consolidation.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous auto quote cheap car insurance said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my auto quote cheap car insurance site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous automobile insurance in canada said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automobile insurance in canada site.
Have a great week!

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Abusiveepithet-hjq said...

You have a nice blog here. Here's a new site about Costa Del Sol visit it some time, it's a new site.

 
At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Unix internet servers stunnix perl web server Undelete software xp Best sex scene in movie

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attisrusa AttisrusaJB
jerrey rice jersey
Pink Arian Foster Jersey
Andre Johnson Jersey for sale

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]