Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Summer Reading

Summer reading lists have been produced everywhere. Here is the summer reading list from notables at the National Review.

For me, summer reading as something different or more than rest-of-the-year reading is almost non-existent. I am an "older father" of two small children and hold a full-time non-writer's job. Summer reading is done but is actually harder than rest of the year reading. I go to the pool club on weekends and am required to shlep my 4-year old son or 7-year old daughter (and sometimes both plus their friends) around the pool for the whole 3-4 hours we are there. I see other parents with older children bring the NYT or books to read on their chaise lounges. I envy them but then they are reading the Da Vinci Code (a book I have promised myself never to read) or some other novel of no long-term value.

At night I read political articles from the internet, newspapers or magazines. Of course, I am, ergo, I blog. I allot 1 hour each night to "book reading". I am currently reading "A Patriot's History of the Unioted States" by Schweikart and Allen, "Novus Ordo Seclorum" by Forrest McDonald (about the intellectual origins of the Constitution) and I just began Thomas Sowell's "Applied Economics".

Money spent in vain, I have a few fiction books that were recommended to me. But since I have spent a good portion of my life reading fiction and, having exhausted the great French novelists and most of the other Europeans, I can spend a decade or so (the rest of my life?) solely on non-fiction.

Yes, I am a literature snob. However, every moment one spends reading is an opportunity for intellectual growth, so while the beach is hot and the sun is shining, please do read. Just skip some of those books on that NYT fiction list.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site film editing schools

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]