Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Rock and Roll Music Comparisons

This was in the Amazon review section for the Stone Temple Pilots. Just some kid opining on music but worth my time:

The equivalent of 90's artists to classic rock artists

Pearl Jam = Led Zeppelin
Soundgarden = Black Sabbath
Radiohead = Pink Floyd
Alice in Chains = the Doors
the Smashing Pumpkins = the Beach Boys
Tool = The Velvet Underground
Nirvana = the Jimi Hendrix experience (in terms of impact, yea, although the guitar playing was obviously much different)
And even though the White Stripes came later, the White Stripes would = the Who
And STP?
Stone Temple Pilots = The Monkees one star band. one star album.
If you can skip the Monkees while searching for great 60's music, you can skip STP while searching for great 90's music...

My Opinion?

Pearl Jam is great but no Zep.
I'll accept the Sound Garden-Sabbath comparison and frankly like SG more.
Don't know Radiohead (though a cool name) but how could they be equal to Floyd?
The Alice-Doors comparison is interesting and I do not disagree on some level. Musically very different but the mood is similar. Actually, Alice is no slouch.
Pumpkins and Beach Boys- not a fan of either but see BB as historically important and saw them twice live and they were great!!!!!!
Tool and Velvet Underground-whatever.
Nirvana and Hendrix- I see it as reasonable in their ground-breaking music and short life exceeded by their influence.
The Stripes and the Who. I've heard something like that but doubt the Stripes measure up in influence and musicality.
The last one. Saw STP and they were very good live. I like much of their music but they are very much copycats. And I hate picking on Mickey Dolenz and Company given their place in my heart. we used to watch their show on Saturdays and play drums on basketballs along with Mickey. I was little in the 60's so they do matter. And their songs were written by pros.

12 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been saying it for years . . . the two greatest products of american culture: baseball and the grateful dead.

truckin' . . . .

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous free music downloads said...

Hi neal phenes, very unique blog you have! I was looking for download music for free online related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a download music for free online site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit it.

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous rock music said...

Hi neal phenes, very unique blog you have! I was looking for free mp3 downloads related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a free mp3 downloads site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit it.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous pop music said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts neal phenes. I was looking for #KEYWORD## related information and found your blog. I have a free mp3 downloads site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous hip hop music said...

Hi neal phenes. I was looking for download music for free online related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a download music for free online site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Check it out when you can :)

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous hip hop music said...

Hi neal phenes. I was looking for jazz music related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a jazz music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Check it out when you can :)

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous jazz music said...

Hi there neal phenes, I was just browsing, looking for free mp3 downloads related information and found your site. Very Nice! I have a free mp3 downloads site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous jazz music said...

Hi there neal phenes, I was just browsing, looking for country music related information and found your site. Very Nice! I have a country music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous free music downloads said...

Hi neal phenes, very unique blog you have! I was looking for hip hop music related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a hip hop music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit it.

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! patanol games breast augmentation Culinary arts schools of st louis prozac drug Allegra alum bridge west virginia http://www.eb-games.info/games-free-scrabble.html Lord of the rings printables

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]