Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

Friday, August 04, 2006

Plan D is the Best

Blog contributor Mark Reynolds just distributed to our Think Tank a comic strip that showed a teenager reacting to the "Plan B" "Morning After" pill headlines. The character said he was a result of his parent's "Plan D" which was to neither end the pregnancy by the pill or an abortion. Mark was a late-life surprise for his parents. Knowing him as well as I do, there may have been a moment or two that his parents questioned their sanity or intelligence in having him so late in life.

I told my group about something that happened just last night that made my "decision" to become a parent of a second child so exhilarating. Bear with me:

Last night at my son's flag football practice in 90 degree humidity (he is just shy of becoming a 6-year old), he was playing offensive tackle. He was blocking an older, bigger kid. He came off the snap and push the kid back, stayed with the block until the kid was downfield about 10 yards and then the kid fell to the ground. Possibly just an accident but who cares. The coaches missed it but I saw it.

I feel the trade-off of some sleepless nights for that moment was well worth it.

When my wife brings him to practice, she either gabs with the wives or goes shopping for an hour. When I am there, I watch every play. I keep quiet when he is kibbitzing and fails to hear a coach advise him of some elementary football technique. While I want him to learn and show the coaches he is serious, he is only 5. I want him to have fun right now. But when he does something right, and well, I feel more pride than if I had done it.

Meanwhile, for equal billing, earlier in the evening when I first walked in the door, upon saying hello to my 8-year old daughter, she asked me to guess what she was going to be for Halloween. It is 3 months away but kids begin to plan this major decision early. I guessed Lizzie McGuire since that was on the TV in the den. She said she was going to be Kathleen McPhee, the second place winner of American Idol.

The blessing of being able to forget everything you were thinking about just prior to walking into the house. The responsibility of figuring out a solution to a problem at work or world issues are instantly replaced with more important things like how do you figure out a costume of an American Idol singer that people will recognize.

All of this is much better than Plan A, B or C.

2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

 
At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]